Woodhouse Eaves

Woodhouse Eaves History

The main street of Woodhouse Eaves

Woodhouse Eaves is situated four miles south of Loughborough beneath Beacon Hill and under the eaves of Charnwood Forest, hence the name. It is the larger of the two villages in the parish of Woodhouse, with shops and public houses which serve both villages.

The parish of Woodhouse, which included Maplewell-Longdale and Woodhouse Eaves, was not formed until 1844, having been formerly extra-parochial of the parishes of Barrow upon Soar and Newtown Linford. The population of the villages at this time was approximately: Maplewell-Longdale 30, Woodhouse 400 and Woodhouse Eaves 650. Today it is around 2300.

Apart from the traditional village trades such as blacksmiths, wheelwrights and shop keepers, the industry particular to the area was framework knitting. This was mainly a domestic industry, with its associated trades. Labourers worked the Swithland slate pits about half a mile away.

Swithland slate, combined with Charnwood granite, is in large part what gives Woodhouse Eaves its charm and character. The warm purple and greys of slate roofs contrast with the stone walls to create a variety of texture and colours. Swithland slate was last quarried in 1887 but wherever possible it is retained and reused.

In the late 19th century the village became a popular resort for visitors. Convalescent homes were also developed to take advantage of the healthy environment and houses were adapted for lodgers.

Woodhouse Eaves is a desirable place in which to live; with many of the village industries gone, commuters from elsewhere bring growth and change. Some small cottages have been extended, rendered and given new features.

Follow the links below to find out more about the history of our lovely village

  • Local History

    This page gives access to more local history material.

  • Family History

    This page provides resources for people researching their family tree in the village and includes a useful guide specially created by the Record Office.

  • Oral History

    This page contains recorded memories of people from the village.

  • Dating Old Documents

    Some guidance developed by the Record Office for working with historical documents dating back to the period of the introduction of the Gregorian calendar in 1752.

Useful Information