Woodhouse Eaves

Some Postcards with a difference from Woodhouse Eaves


A card with a difference, specially designed for Woodhouse Eaves. The reverse shows that it was almost certainly printed in Germany. There is no trace of a stamp, so it can be assumed it was delivered by hand.


Another speciality postcard. Lucky heather no doubt. The front section of this card could be opened to show a series of several mini photographs of Woodhouse Eaves. The reverse shows it to be a 'Novelty' Postcard, with instructions, for a ½ penny postage.


Showing the War Memorial, and an interesting van progressing up Church Hill. The reverse is a birthday greetings from the Rev. Arnold Hiley, vicar of Woodhouse Eaves and his wife Edith Maud, dated November 15th. 1926. The Rev. Hiley was Vicar at St. Paul's Church from 1878 – 1929.


A card of the Stone Hole, but printed with a special frame surround. Dated September 12th. 1913 to Hettie, whoever she is.


Again the Stone Hole, but a card with a special wavy edge. Also extolling the fact that it is of British Manufacture.


One further view of the Stone Hole. It is the reverse that is interesting. Posted in Leicester 10.30am, 10th. June 1915. From Ethel to Dr. T.W.Lee, 2/1st Kent Cyclist Battalian, F. Company, Kings North, Nr. Ashford.


This has to be a candidate for 'favourite' postcard.. The card itself shows the Village Hall in it's original form with the entrance porch being at the front of the building, with a splendid old car parked outside. The message on the reverse, posted on April 15th. 1929, leaves plenty to the imagination. How Guy's mother failed to notice his trousers were missing until Sunday morning is a mystery.


A view of one of the abandoned slate quarries in Swithland Wood. Posted 19th. February 1905 to Mr. J. Bird in Harborough Magna. Is it a Foreign language? Try reading every word backwards to get the message.


A nice view of the village centre, posted 7.45pm. in Loughborough, 18th. June 1911. It would appear that Mr. Arnold's mother is 'horrified at the number of new houses around the vicarage', although her tennis was pretty good.


Main Street towards the centre, posted 12.30pm., 31st. August 1904. The wall on the right is that of the Infants School. The writer's message is in shorthand to his shorthand teacher in Leicester. Translated as:-

"My wife and I are spending a fortnight here and enjoying the quiet change very much. If you come over one afternoon this week we shall be very pleased to see you. Address c/o Mrs. Wesley, Main Street, Woodhouse Eaves. If you can drop a postcard. Hope you are well. Ever yours most sincerely JT."


During the Great War of 1914/18, the Convalescent Home on Breakback Road was used as a hospital for injured soldiers. Note the three Boy Scouts in the bottom right-hand corner. No doubt copies of this postcard would have been sent to the soldiers relatives.


The Cooper Childrens' Convalescent Home on Brand Hill. Posted in Loughborough 9.30pm. 30th. April 1909. Whoever, he or she was, the writer was determined to get their ½ penny worth on the card.


A postcard celebrating 100 years of Woodhouse Eaves Post Office, from 1908 – 2008. Specially printed for Bob Rankin, postmaster, and his wife Helen.


A rather dark postcard of Woodhouse Eaves Post Office. The card being stamped, one year later at 7.30pm. on 22nd. October 1909 at the Post Office. They worked longer hours in those days.


Woodhouse Eaves Football team in 1907. Do you recognise anyone?


A gathering on Beacon Hill on 19th. June 1912. Most likely to be a church outing. The postage date cannot be read. The ½ penny stamp of King George V is a ¾ view. This lasted from 1911 to 1912, so it is reasonable to assume the card was posted in 1912.


A fine view of Beaumanor Hall in Woodhouse, posted by Effie Livi(?) in Leicester at 8.30pm. on 25th. June 1904 to Lyon in France. Note the 1 penny stamp required as this card was being sent abroad.


Another view of Beaumanor advising that Lady Kathleen Curzon Herrick had stayed with Miss Tufton in January 1922. Card not posted.


The Lodge at the entrance to Beaumanor Hall. The writer had possibly recently visited Woodhouse, but did not post the card until 10.15pm., 28th. May 1909 after returning to Ashford in Kent. Wonder if his lost knife was ever found and returned.


A very nice postcard showing St. Mary's Church in Woodhouse, much of it anyway. The splendid cottage on the right was eventually demolished by the local Council in the name of progress. The idea being to straighten out the sharp bend by the church. This never happened. This card was no doubt purchased by a visitor from Holland, but was then posted from Gouda, near Rotterdam at an unknown date.


The Valley, leading from Woodhouse to Swithland. Pest Cottage is on the right in a rather overgrown state. This card was posted in Loughborough at 7pm.on the 10th. June 1922 from Dr. Walter Reginald Tucket, the well-known and respected medical practioner in Woodhouse Eaves. The postage was now 1 penny.


Cottages in Woodhouse village. Posted in Whitwick on 16th. July 1907. In a foreign language? No. It is 'backslang', a weird form of code. To read the message, take each individual word, remove the last letter 'a', then take the new last letter and make it the first letter. Eg. the first word is 'anyma', this becomes 'many'. Now try the rest!


This delightful postcard is of Church Farm, and was posted in Leicester at 8.45pm., 21st. February 1905. In the distance can be seen St. Paul's Church, the school, and the roof of the Pear Tree Inn. This area is now Rawlins Close. It has long been believed that the three children are Kate & Helen Stubbs, with their brother Lloyd. Kate and Helen became teachers at the school. However the 1911 census shows that Kate was 36, and Helen was 34, so the children on the postcard could not possibly be them. Does anyone have any idea who they were? Also, on the message, one wonders who 'Snicket' was.


Finally, Postcards of Woodhouse and Woodhouse Eaves are still being produced. How many will still be collected in another 100 years time?